At the Westgate Shopping Centre sustainability plays an important role in the decision making process. We realise the tremendous impact the built environment has on the world, and we are taking steps wherever possible to reduce our carbon footprint and increase sustainability. We believe it is important to share these efforts with our customers and tenants so they understand how important sustainability is to us and the environment.
Do We Recycle?
Yes we do. In fact, we have been recycling the centre waste since 2007 and minimal waste is sent landfill. We are pleased to announce we have substantially reduced our carbon footprint by minimising the frequency of waste collections.
- We currently recycle card, plastic, glass and tins. We have introduced recycling bins to our mall and hope to educate our customers and retail tenants to increase recycling and reduce landfill waste.
- All waste cardboard generated by our retail tenants is collected and processed by our waste contractor. We try to encourage retailers to use re-useable containers for deliveries and avoid cardboard boxes altogether.
How Do We Manage Water and Electricity?
- Water and electricity meters have been installed throughout the Centre and consumption is continuously monitored.
- We have installed a monitoring device to our water system to highlight any irregularities in consumption which may be as a result of an undetected water leak.
- Water hippos have been installed to tenant, public and staff toilets to reduce water consumption.
- A combination of low energy lamps, reduced operating hours and movement activated detectors has seen electricity consumption reduced.
- Our heating control systems ensures that energy is only consumed at critical business operation hours.
Do We Care About The Local Community?
- Over the years we have raised more than £50,000 for local charities and individuals. We continue to support Guide Dogs for the Blind and the training of new puppies by providing space for the guide dog collection statue in the Centre and supporting Guide Dog week with their fundraising efforts and events. We also like to support local schools and their curriculum where we can.